Monday, November 11, 2013
The Knicks Open Up The Garden
On Nov. 11, 1946, the New York Knicks play their first game at Madison Square Garden.
Although the Knicks have played at Madison Square Garden since 1946, the location of the Garden has changed, twice before the Knicks began playing basketball in 1879, and 1890 before its location change in 1925 where the 1946 Knicks played.
The 1925 Garden was located on Eighth Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets in Manhattan on the site of the city's trolley car barns. It was the first Garden that was not located near Madison Square.
The Knicks would call this location their arena for home games, although if there was an important college game, they played in the 69th Regiment Armory.
Then in February 1968 the Garden moved to its current location, where it has been renovated three times in 1991, 2011, and 2012.
The Garden is now the oldest active major sporting facility in the New York metropolitan area and is the oldest arena in the National Hockey League and the second-oldest arena in the National Basketball Association (after the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California).
The current configuration at the Garden has been host to several Knicks NBA Finals games including in 1970: when the Knicks won the NBA championship at Madison Square Garden.The Garden was also host for the Knicks in the NBA finals in 1972, 1973, 1994 and1999: when the San Antonio Spurs won their championship at Madison Square Garden.